Gather 'round the warm glow of your computer monitor with your spouse and take a few moments to enjoy this blog together. I'll share tales about my glorious adventures as a husband (many of which will be made up). However, guys, there may be a few helpful hints in here of what to do (or not do) that can help you...keep a happy wife.

Monday, March 14, 2011

How 3M Can Help Your Love Life

That's Costner on the left
When you think "kiss", what comes to mind?:
a. Long, slow, deep, soft wet kisses that last for three days

b. That band Gene Simmons was in before he was on reality TV.

c. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

All of the above is really the right answer, but each on their own would make a fun blog topic. I could write about "Bull Durham", romantic sports movies or Kevin Costner's over-acting (also see Reeves,Keanu). I could easily write on outrageous rock bands of the 70s and 80 – well, they do call me "Dr. Love" ("really, they do?" you may ask. No, not really. Nobody has ever called me that, but feel free to start that trend if you like.) The topic for today though is the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Don't take any offense at the reference to "stupid". It's positive slang used by the kids these days like "phat", "dope" and "LOL". (Honesty, though, I'm not sure what it means when people call you an "LOL" in a text message. I get that a lot though, so I hope it is good). Actually, the whole "stupid is positive slang" thing? I just made it up. Forget all that. (Sorry, I've made up two outrageous stories in one paragraph. I apologize unequivocally.) Try to hang with me anyway.


The point here is how to "keep it simple, stupid sport" in being romantic (let's try a word better than "stupid"). Being romantic does not require expensive gifts or great creativity. Quite frankly, I have the fine folks at 3M to thank for one of the most effective romantic gestures ever. Over two years ago, I randomly left the wife this message on a post-it note on the driver's side visor of her van.



It has stayed there ever since… Anybody who says America can't produce a quality product hasn't used a post-it note in a while.


The wife says it surprises her every time she flips down the visor (fortunately, not surprising enough for her to run into a ditch) and reminds her that she is loved. There is nothing more "keep it simple, skippy" than this. It took zero planning. You don't have to write a poem and rack your brain trying to find a word that rhymes with your wife's name (Mulva?) or remember how many syllables in the second line of a haiku (seven, by the way).


It was not expensive. There is a time for spending a little dough and buying your lady something special (And I don't mean: "Go ahead and super-size that value meal for yourself, darlin'. You deserve it"). However, it is not necessary to break the bank to be romantic. You also know how I feel about greeting cards. Sorry, Hallmark - giant waste of money. The little note I left the wife cost about 7 cents. Now THAT is "keeping it simple, stinky".


Most importantly, it is effective. She gets that message a few hundred times a year from that one little note (God bless you 3M… can I get some product endorsement here?).


So, what I want you to do now, guys, is take a post-it note pad out of your desk or briefcase. Jot down the first thing that pops in your head about your wife. Keep it simple, but don't be stupid. "What's for dinner?" or "You look good with a little weight on you" are not your best ideas. Then hide the note in a spot you know she'll find it but won't expect it (medicine cabinet, desk drawer, or you can even borrow my car visor idea). Voila! (That's Latin for "ta-da!") You've just done something very romantic (yet very simple) for your wife. I'll even let you take all the credit.


I hope that by "keeping it simple, sparky" you'll manage to rate a real kiss or two in the process (and I don't mean a small, chocolate candy treat). While you're hiding your note, I'm going to buy some 3M stock just in case this idea takes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment